Wednesday, February 06, 2008

My Mortality

Today is Ash Wednesday - it's a day of reflection of one's mortality and penitance in the Protestant Church as the start of the Lenten season. The imposition of ashes represent mortality (Ashes to ashes; dust to dust - From The Common Book of Prayer based on Gensis 3:19). Ponder your own mortality.

I've been hearing too many instances of people dying quickly lately. And it's gotten me to think about my mortality. Will I have any regrets? Will I leave things undone? Will I leave a mess behind or will I be able to have the opportunity to tie up the loose ends.

Tim McGraw has a song - Live Like You Were Dying - that describes a man that is terminal and how he is living his life after the news - and he went skydiving, Rocky Mountain climbing, 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fumanchu.

And now there is a new movie out that I want to see - The Bucket List - a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket. I need to develop my Bucket List.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a great idea Maggie for a journalling prompt!

Amy Eileen said...

I thought the same thing! Great journal prompt!!