Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Enjoy Scrapbooking?

I enjoy scrapping now, but if anyone had told me that years ago, I would never have believed them.

When the scrapbooking craze started years ago, I thought that it was "too cute". I had made scrapbooks in the past, but they were mostly glorified photo albums. I would occasionally save memorabilia for speciific events or trips. But I thought all the papers and fancy stickers and "cutsie" cut-out shapes were just not me.

A couple of years ago, I went with Mark's cousin and aunt to pick up some scrapbooking supplies. I just went along to have something to do. By then, the world of scrapbooking had matured into something that truly resembled art - at least looking at the scrapbooking magazines. I was becoming intrigued. But I didn't want to deal with all the supplies - the papers and the stickers and the ribbons and STUFF! I just didn't have room for it.

However, in one of the magazines was an article from the developer of another digiscrapping site, showing how easy it was to create scrapbook pages using PSP. I knew PSP. I used it at work to manipulate photos. I made a few pages and was becoming hooked. Then I found www.digitalscrapbookplace.com while surfing the web. Their beginning tutorial spelled it out for me and I loved what they had in their "freebies" section. But the world really opened up for me when I discovered the forums and the challenges - the support and assistance was amazing. (As an aside - there was some controversy going on at the time - on another forum, DSP was being bashed as an unfriendly place - I never understood that).

I've been away from digiscrapping and from DSP for several months - due to other things going on and a lack of drive, but I happened to scan the forums this week and found a thread I had to post to. Immediately, someone noticed I had posted and PMed me to say they were glad to "see" me.

I have had a special reason for learning to scrap. My sister passed away in 2004, but before she died, she left a list of things she wanted her daughter to know about "Mommy". I made a Mommy book for my niece that highlights the list, plus whatever else I could think of that she might want to know. And as I acquire more photos, I can add to the book - that's the beauty of digiscrapping.

3 comments:

loonyhiker said...

I bet the mommy book is wonderful. I think you are great for doing this and I look forward to seeing some of the pages in the gallery!

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute and memory. Your niece is so blessed to have you in her life.

Gemma said...

Hey, Maggie, I've missed you and am so glad to see you! I have thought about you and prayed about you so many times! I've thought of your surgery and your family. Hope all is well! Blessings, Stacey